My 1st Repair Project

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

My 1st Repair Project

Postby jdp020351 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:03 pm

Hello Group:

It's been awhile since I posted last.
I just wanted to share with the group my latest purchase, a Waltham Pocket Watch.
It's not working at the moment, but with Bob's course and hopefully advise from the group I can bring this old watch back to life.
I don't know the history behind this watch, but it has a very thick crystal and a inlay of what appears to be a locomotive on the back.

I have attached some photos of the watch for your review and will post additional photos as I start taking the watch apart to see what the problems are.

Thanks for listening:
Jerry
Attachments
5.JPG
5.JPG (76.3 KiB) Viewed 3780 times
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG (64.96 KiB) Viewed 3780 times
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG (55.59 KiB) Viewed 3780 times
jdp020351

Re: My 1st Repair Project

Postby Bob Tascione » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:19 pm

Hi Jerry,
Your watch brings back memories of my very first 18 size.
My case also had a brass or copper train coming down the tracks but the movement was an Elgin 15j. I still think these old coin silver cased watches are the best deal out there.
The full plate watch can be a little tricky when it comes to assembly as compared with 3/4 plate and finger bridged movements. It can be tough getting the pallet fork situated during assembly. One tip on assembling them that works great for me is to assemble the movement "upside down". There probably isn't really an upside down so I guess I mean the opposite way that you would assemble a 3/4 plate. By placing the watch on the holder with the balance cock side down (leave the balance cock and balance off at this point) towards the bench surface I find it much easier to build the wheel train and install the pallet in place. You can then place the dial side plate on and line up the arbors by viewing between the plates. Just a tip but it does seem to work well for me.

Have fun Jerry and if possible please post on your progress.

Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby jdp020351 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:45 pm

Thanks Bob.
I'll keep the group posted on my progress
Jerry
jdp020351

Postby Bob Tascione » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi Jerry,
Correction to my earlier post. I mentioned "Coin Silver" when describing the case...Way Off...It's Silverode which contains no silver. I think Coin Silver is actually Silver. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

Bob
Bob Tascione

Return to General Discussion Forum