[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Elgin jewel settings

Elgin jewel settings

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Elgin jewel settings

Postby peterclare » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:11 pm

Greetings all, I recently acquired a nice Elgin 16s pocket watch that seems to be in pretty good condition except for needing a clean and a new jewel for the third wheel.

To me it looks to be an easy job as it's a screw down jewel setting, but where would I source one?

I have a few European watches that need new jewels and I am working up the courage to bite the bullet and get a Seitz tool, but in the mean time I thought this one would be a good start to find some sources for jewels and jewel settings.

I've attached an image of the new arrival.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Peter
Attachments
Elgin 466.JPG
Elgin 466.JPG (93.73 KiB) Viewed 4632 times
peterclare

Re: Elgin jewel settings

Postby Bob Tascione » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:32 am

Hi Peter,
I can't think of anyone that sells plate jewels in settings but it's early here and still need my morning cup of coffee. Minds not working yet. If no one comes to mind then I will check around online a little later today to see if I can find someone.
Might get lucky,

Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby peterclare » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi Bob, even a source for the jewels would be fine, then I'll figure out a way to get it in the setting.

Regards

Peter
peterclare

Postby Arutha » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:27 pm

Found this on e-bay, dont know if they would be any good?
Arutha

Postby Bob Tascione » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:04 pm

No luck on locating the jewel settings complete Peter.

The old burnish jewels are also next to impossible to find now. If those were gold settings I would do my very best to find burnish jewels and rub them in to keep the watch original but with the brass settings you may wish to convert them over to readily available friction jewels.

Seitz friction jewel assortments can be purchased from most watch supply houses. The link to the assortment that Paul posted also looks like a good assortment.

Wish I had better news for you Peter. I hope this helps.
Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby peterclare » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:12 pm

Thanks for the responses all. Looks like they are gold settings so I'll start looking for the jewels. The hunt is half the fun...

Regards

Peter
peterclare

Return to General Discussion Forum