[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - 1872-1874 18 Elgin Key Wind Watch

1872-1874 18 Elgin Key Wind Watch

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

1872-1874 18 Elgin Key Wind Watch

Postby wingman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:13 pm

It looks as though someone abused the watch. The staff is not correctly positioned in the balance wheel. It is canted to a bit of an angle. Also it doesn't appear to be completely seated on the staff. Any suggestions as to the best way to remove the staff since it is below the height of the wheel? It might not even be staked. The hairspring came off very easily hopefully someone hasn't mashed some miscellaneous parts together here.

If anyone knows where to get one. I'm also looking for a key wind ratchet wheel .2835 in. across, measured top of the tooth to top of the opposite tooth.

Steve
Copy of Elgin 1872 039A.jpg
Center of balance wheel showing the staff not seated flush.
Copy of Elgin 1872 039A.jpg (148.97 KiB) Viewed 3255 times

Elgin 1872 031.jpg
Wheel
Elgin 1872 031.jpg (120.52 KiB) Viewed 3255 times
wingman

Re: 1872-1874 18 Elgin Key Wind Watch

Postby Bob Tascione » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi Steve,
I wasn't able to view your pics as they were too large and the scroll bars wouldn't move the entire picture into view in my browser. I downloaded and re-sized them which seems to have worked well. You're right...it does look like the staff isn't inserted all the way into the balance hole. You can most likely tap it right out on your staking set without doing any harm to the balance.
For the click wheel you might give Daves watch parts a try at http://www.daveswatchparts.com . If he doesn't have the part he may have an old scrap movement that you can purchase for parts. I'll also check tonight to see if I have something down here that will work. if I do it could be a while before I can get it up to the U.S. to ship it to you. I'll email you to let you know what I find out.
Hope this helps Steve,
Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby wingman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Thanks Bob I didn't know how to re-size the photos. I have sent an email to Dave.

Do you think the balance wheel is correct for this model of watch? It looks different than the other older Elgin watches.

Steve
wingman

Postby Bob Tascione » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi Steve,
No problem on the pics. I just re-sized them real quick in photoshop.
As for your question about the mono-metalic balance being correct for some Elgin watches the answer is yes. I'm not sure about your particular watch but Elgin did use a balance like the one in the picture you posted. I took and posted a pic below (hairspring trashed) of one on an Elgin Inter-Ocean s/n 494313.
Hope this helps Steve,
Bob
Inter-Ocean.jpg
Elgin Inter-Ocean mono-metalic balance
Inter-Ocean.jpg (210.14 KiB) Viewed 3244 times
Bob Tascione

Return to General Discussion Forum