[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Really a newby

Really a newby

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Really a newby

Postby Don1954 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi,
I;m Really a newby on this, I dont know what clock or watch tools are or even what there used for, im trying to learn.
I got the on line course and it is bringing some of it to light. I,ve gotten into it because i have became disableded in the last couple years after fourty years of hard work.
I,m trying to get a hobby going that doesnt require hard work so i got to looking at our old Hemle Grandfather clock that i had a old clock repair guy clean and repair it six or seven years ago. After he finished it it ran for about three months and quit and of course he passed away. I'm not sure what he used on it but this stuff ran down on the gears and plates and hardend like cement, i tryed everything to get it off and finialy sofened it up with meuratic acid then soked it it brass cleaners of al types for hours and used a brass bruss and got it off finealy.
There is one thing i did'nt notice is there is three wait gears two turn one way and one turns the other way, can anyone tell me where the one goes? and how to time it.
I do have a few old clocks ive save from my childhood like mantel clocks and mantel clock bodies lot of them have spring wind up works they dont work either so i think i,ll try to fix them also.
Can you tell me what tools i should get, I know now i need a lathe but dont know whitch to get and what adapters to get with it. i,ve been looking on ebay but am confused.Do i need a staking set and thing like that if so do you have a video on how to actualy use them?
I'll be back asking more dumb questions
Thanks Don
Don1954

Re: Really a newby

Postby Don1954 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:56 am

I guess this was'nt worth posting on
Don1954

Postby OldTimers » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:20 pm

OldTimers

Postby Don1954 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:24 pm

The movement is a hermle 451-050 75cm it is chain driven> There are three gears for the chains, where does the one go that turns backwards from the other two.
Don1954

Postby Don1954 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:38 pm

I have also found why the clock loced up. The end of the arber on the escape wheel is bent any help on straighting it correctly?
Thanks Don
Don1954

Postby Bob Tascione » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Happy Holidays Don!
I've just returned from traveling but I don't have a Hermle with me down here in Mexico right now that I can look at. I think that would be the strike pulley that you're asking about. Pretty sure but going from memory. I'll see if I have a book or something down here with me that I can check just to make sure.
I agree with what John said about not needing a lathe or a staking set until later except...you could sure use one for straightening that pivot. Chucking the arbor in a lathe and then putting a punch with a hole that "just" fits over the pivot makes for a simple repair. Short of having those tools you can still do the job by making a small v-block out of wood ...just a block of wood with a v shape cut along the top... that you can lay and rotate the arbor in to locate the high point on the pivot and then using a smooth jawed pliers grab the pivot and bend slightly then check the pivot by rotating the arbor in the v-block to see it there is still a high point. Repeat the process until it's perfectly straight. It's really important to make very small adjustments so that you don't bend the pivot too far because having to bend it back again could crack or break the pivot off. It's very common for clocksmiths to replace these movements with a new one when worn. As a result we usually have a lot of them laying around for parts. You can probably find used movements up on ebay for next to nothing. Good to have around when you need something like an escape wheel and arbor! Also you may be able to order a new wheel and arbor from a supplier like Timesavers or Merritts.
I'll check around tonight to see if I have some info on that pulley.
Enjoy!
Bob
Bob Tascione

Return to General Discussion Forum