Seiko Quartz Watch Stem Removal

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Seiko Quartz Watch Stem Removal

Postby wingman » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:37 pm

OK I know I shouldn't be fooling with the quartz things but I was given a nice Seiko watch that was missing its stem. I decided to purchase a new movement and while putting it back together I installed the stem and noticed the hands don't turn freely. I have to remove the movement and I cannot find a way to release the stem from the movement. According to one website there is a button that can be depressed to allow the stem to come out. I've looked all over the movement and can't find such a button.
Does anyone know how to do this?
wingman

Re: Seiko Quartz Watch Stem Removal

Postby Bob Tascione » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:40 am

Hi and Happy New Year Wingman!
You didn't mention which movement you have but we may not need it. The button you need to push may not be visible when the stem is pushed in. Instead there may be a tab with an indentation you need to push which may be hidden under the plate. You can try pulling the stem out into setting position while looking in any hole near the area where the stem is inserted and watch for a tab that moves into view. The tab should have a small indentation. Push lightly on this tab while pulling on the stem and it should come right out.
If you still don't see anything then a movement number may be helpful.
Please let us know what you find Wingman and Enjoy!
Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby wingman » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks Bob

That worked! It had a small dimple on one of the steel plates. I thought it might have been a "once installed always installed" set up. Thankfully not. Now I just have to get the hands properly installed and cut the stem to length.

Its been a damp New Year up here. I guess you went though a bit of a cold snap in Guaymas. My brother found it really cold (and he's from Canada) as his house has no heat.

Steve
wingman

Postby Bob Tascione » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi Steve,
Glad that helped.
We've been at the house in Baja on the pacific side for the past 7 months not at the boat on the Sea of Cortez side (boat's in the boat yard for now) but it's been COLD here too! At least it's a lot colder than we're used to. Must be that Med. blood cuz I'm a real wimp when it comes to cold weather. If it gets below 60 degrees fah. I start whining!
Keep dry up there Steve,
Bob
Bob Tascione

Return to General Discussion Forum