Hand or Drill Press Reamer/ Bushing Tool

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Hand or Drill Press Reamer/ Bushing Tool

Postby chuckc1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:41 pm

I am looking for some guidance. I am needing to purchase a bushing set but cannot afford the bushing machine. I am trying to decide between a hand reamer/bushing set or the drill press set. I also would like to understand the most common sizes for reamers and pivot bushings. Cannot afford to buy every size at this time.
Which offers a better selection of bushings, KWM or Burgeon?
Will the reamers from the hand or drill set work with the bushing machine?
Will doing bushings by hand offer a better understanding of how to install a bushing correctly?
Where can I find more information for determining the correct position of the bushing? I know Bob does an install in the first videos.
I am just starting out with my business and until I have a good flow, cannot afford much in the really good tools. I am also a student of Bob's clock and watch course.
Any suggestions are always appreciated.
Thanks
chuckc1

Re: Hand or Drill Press Reamer/ Bushing Tool

Postby Michael Ciskowski » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:51 pm

I have been using the hand tool for many years and it has worked fine for me. I use the KWM but buy the American made bushings from Timesavers. If you are a member of NAWCC check out the article in the Feb. 1984 issue on-line. I don't see why this inexpensive bushing tool would not serve us well and you would have had the pleasure of making it yourself.
Michael Ciskowski

Postby chuckc1 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:49 am

Unfortunately I am not a member of the NAWCC. This can be easily corrected. Can you offer more information about the article you referenced. Is it a magazine article, chapter of a book, or a bulletin as issued by the NAWCC? Do you have a copy you would be willing to email?
I appreciate your suggestion about having used the hand reamer for years. Is a press required to install the bushing? Or is it just a nylon hammer? There are many things about this task I would like to have more understanding. Where I live in SE Arizona, there are no repair people and I would have appreciated an opportunity to take the learning from Bob's clock course and apply as an apprentice for a while.
Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
chuckc1

Postby Michael Ciskowski » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:34 pm

I have added the article as an attachment. I hope you can open it. If you are not familiar with a bushing tool it may not make sense to you. In a nut-shell, the tool allows you to cut perpendicular holes in the plate for the new bushing, allows you to cut the new bushing hole over the original center, and has a pusher to press the new bushing into the plate. I am differing from the article a bit as I have ordered what are called toggle clamps to used to hold the plate in position.
The hand bushing tool will serve you well if you are careful and keep it perpendicular while you are using it. Sometimes I don't get the new hole close enough to the original center and have to broach the bushing more that I should. I have started using a staking punch with a spring loaded center point to lightly mark the bush diameter with the center point. This helps me guide the hand reamer a lot better.
I just checked and the Ariz. Sunshine Regional Convention will be in Fountain Hills, AZ on March 8 & 9. If you are not a member of NAWCC, Sat. the 9th will be a public day. There will be many tables of clocks, watches, tools, books & etc set up with some very good deals. They will have a public exhibition and programs & workshops for both members and the public. If you have never been to a regional before: you will think that you have died & gone to heaven.
Attachments
bushing tool.pdf
(316.43 KiB) Downloaded 573 times
Michael Ciskowski

Postby chuckc1 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:08 pm

I have joined the NAWCC as a trial member. I was not successful in searching for the document you mentioned on their website and I do appreciate you having posted it here. I noticed the event in Fountain Hills, AZ while browsing the NAWCC. I have also reached out to the secretary of chapter 113, Southern AZ. I am assuming it is in Tuscon.
Thank you again for your assistance.
Are you in AZ? If so, where?

Thanks again
Chuck
chuckc1

Postby Michael Ciskowski » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:12 pm

Glad to have you join us Chuck. On the NAWCC page go to library, lending library, videos. Most can be streamed online now. You will find a lot of topics. Mike
Michael Ciskowski

Return to General Discussion Forum