[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Newbie with trouble opening watch

Newbie with trouble opening watch

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Newbie with trouble opening watch

Postby eyedoc46 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:53 pm

Hi--I'm brand new at this. Just bought a cheap Westclox pocket watch to learn to take apart and clean. I've removed the back. It has a thin flexible metal bar holding the rest in place. When I remove this, everything appears ready to come out, but the stem and crown don't release so I'm stuck already. How do I get these to release ? Thanks, Andrew
eyedoc46

Re: Newbie with trouble opening watch

Postby Bob Tascione » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum!
Yes they can be tricky as they weren't really designed with future dis-assembly in mind. I've uploaded a couple of pics of a Westclox pocket watch. The small cylinder sitting at the end of the brass pin (in pic) needs to be pulled up while pulling out on the crown/stem. I don't really know the proper tool or procedure but I just reach down through the hole (second pic) with an old screwdriver and sort of leverage it up. I'm sure there's a much better way though. Maybe shaping the end of an old screwdriver to fit the groove on the cylinder would help. Maybe someone up here can add more to this.
Hope this helps Andrew,
Bob
Westclox_stem_1.jpg
Lift this pin (cylinder) up while pulling out on stem.
Westclox_stem_1.jpg (132.58 KiB) Viewed 2634 times

Westclox_stem_2.jpg
Westclox Stem Removal
Westclox_stem_2.jpg (151.65 KiB) Viewed 2634 times
Bob Tascione

Re: Newbie with trouble opening watch

Postby eyedoc46 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks for your help. I was away for awhile. That seems to work, Andrew
eyedoc46

Return to General Discussion Forum