Removal of a CANNON PINION

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Removal of a CANNON PINION

Postby BYJWR1 » Fri May 25, 2012 8:26 pm

Hello Bob and fellow members.
I am working on an Elgin size 16, 7 jewel Pocket Watch with SN #9328405. The center wheel pinion is free wheeling
and thus does not allow turning of the center wheel arbor. Perhaps it is a safety pinion that was threaded to the arbor
and may have come loose when the main spring broke, as Bob mentioned in his response to Brassy's Topic covering
Pinion repacement dated 5/25/12. In order for me to take a close look at the center wheel pinion, I have to remove the
cannon pinion to release the center wheel for removal. My problem is removing the cannon pinion. I have a hand
remover that looks simular the one used by Bob in his watch repair video. This hand remover just slips off the
cannon pinion without removing it. I would appreciate your inputs, suggestions, ideas for removing the cannon
pinion!

Thank You

BYJWR1
BYJWR1

Re: Removal of a CANNON PINION

Postby Arutha » Fri May 25, 2012 10:31 pm

Firstly please dont force it, I have just seen on another forum a guy snapped it off trying to force it. Are there any signs of rust? You can get canon pinion removal tools and sometimes they can just be prized off with a small pair of hand removing levers but if yours is very tight it could be worth getting some oil on it, leave it for a while and then try again.
I am sure someone else will be along in a while to give you some better advice.
Good luck and let us know how you get on with it.
Paul.
Arutha

Re: Removal of a CANNON PINION

Postby Bob Tascione » Sat May 26, 2012 8:46 am

Hi BYJWR1,
Yes, it sounds like your safety pinion may have kicked in and saved your watch!
Might want to check the mainspring condition and if it's good then make sure its not letting loose from the arbor or barrel.

Those Elgin cannon pinions usually come off without much effort. As Paul suggests you can make a couple of simple pry bars out of some steel rod but it's sometimes difficult to find a place for them to grab on the cannon pinion. If you have the bridge removed from the other end of the center arbor you can use a tiny punch and press the center arbor out of the cannon pinion. I usually use a dull pair of "nipper" (straight edge) tweezers and just pull the cannon pinion "straight" off of the arbor. Must be careful not to squeeze too hard and to pull straight. I've been doing this for a while so I'm comfortable with it. Not suggesting that you do it this way as it may not be something you would be comfortable doing.

Hope this helps BYJWR1. Please let us know how it goes.
Bob
Bob Tascione

Return to General Discussion Forum