[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - A workshop is born

A workshop is born

Create your own "Personal Shop Page" Just Start a "New Topic"using your forum User Name as the title and post pics of your shop, tools, you etc.!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Forum rules
Start a "New Topic" using your forum User name as the title and post pics of your shop, tools, you etc.!!
This will be your personal home page.
Post your pics on your personal page only
DO NOT POST YOUR PICS ON ANOTHER PERSONS PERSONAL PAGE UNLESS REQUESTED OR GIVEN PERMISSION BY THE PAGE OWNER

Re: A workshop is born

Postby brianw » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:59 am

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments.
I had to ease back on the work over the winter as it was just too cold and I was struggling with tennis elbow which was pretty unpleasant.
However, spring has finally arrived and I'm back working on the workshop.
I've fitted insulation in the roof.
insulation.jpg
insulation.jpg (383.76 KiB) Viewed 25851 times

I've fitted the chimney for the wood burning stove which will be needed next winter.
chimney.jpg
chimney.jpg (541.78 KiB) Viewed 25851 times

And I'm now in the process of installing wooden cladding over the insulation.
cladding1.jpg
cladding1.jpg (360.09 KiB) Viewed 25851 times

I've still got a way to go, but hopefully I should be at least partially operational by the time summer arrives.
The best part is going to be when I start installing workbenches and equipment.
Watch this space.
brianw

Postby Bob Tascione » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:55 am

Wow Brian that's looking more and more like a beautiful traditional clockmakers/watchmakers shop. I can only imagine what it's going to feel like actually working in there when It's all setup.
Looks like you're getting very close now!

Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby brianw » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi Bob,
Yes it is progressing well and I am itching to start using it.
The internal roof cladding is now finished and the floor screeding is currently drying out so I can't do anything more inside for two weeks while it sets hard.
I'm waiting for the delivery of the fascia and soffit board materials which should arrive on Wednesday. In the meantime I am going to start digging a hole outside the building
to locate the electricity and water main which run nearby so that I can get them connected.
As soon as the floor is ready I will be painting it with a hard wearing two-part resin, then the wood burning stove is going in.
There is still plenty to do and it is now two years since I took that first picture when the whole project was just a dream.
I'll post some more photographs when the facia board is in place and the stove is installed.
Brian
brianw

Postby brianw » Thu May 31, 2018 11:54 am

I haven't posted anything for a while, but I have been working on the shop.
roof_lining.jpg
Roof lining
roof_lining.jpg (213.79 KiB) Viewed 25735 times

The internal roof lining is in place and the floor insulation is installed.
floor_insulation.jpg
Floor insulation
floor_insulation.jpg (237.23 KiB) Viewed 25735 times

The fascia and soffit boards are installed.
fascia_install.jpg
Installation of fascia and soffit
fascia_install.jpg (401.46 KiB) Viewed 25735 times

I can't add any more photographs for some reason, so I will upload this submission and start a new one.
Attachments
fasci_finished.jpg
Fascia and soffit completed
fasci_finished.jpg (330.17 KiB) Viewed 25735 times
brianw

Postby brianw » Thu May 31, 2018 12:10 pm

The electricity and water supply is connected.
water_and_electricity.jpg
Services connection
water_and_electricity.jpg (328.46 KiB) Viewed 25735 times

The floor screeding is complete and the floor painted.
new_floor.jpg
New floor
new_floor.jpg (185.02 KiB) Viewed 25735 times

The walls are painted and the skirting boards fixed in place.
walls_painted.jpg
Painted walls
walls_painted.jpg (164.25 KiB) Viewed 25735 times

walls_painted_2.jpg
More painted walls
walls_painted_2.jpg (175.37 KiB) Viewed 25735 times

Well, that is as far as I have got.
The floor is painted with an industrial epoxy two part paint designed to be hard wearing.
I've sealed around the bottom of the skirting so that springs that fly off into the unknown cannot hide under the skirting.
I'm very pleased with how everything is working out. The next step is to install the wood burning stove, then guttering and drainage.
As you can see, the wiring and plumbing still has to go in. I'll start with putting in a consumer unit then move on to lights and power outlets.
All the wiring is going to go into surface-mounted trunking so that I can change the installation to fit in with whatever equipment is
in place.
This build has been a long slog, but I'm sure it will be worth it. If I had realised what was involved before I started I might never have begun.
I'm looking forward to posting the photograph with the first clock in it.
Regards to all, Brian
brianw

Postby brianw » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:40 am

The electricity is connected up and the lighting installed.
I've used LED lights which look like ordinary strip lights. They are really bright and don't consume much power. I wanted to have as much light as possible and am very pleased with them.
The wood burning stove is in although I haven't lit it yet as we are having a bit of a heat wave here at the moment.
electrics.jpg
Mains consumer unit
electrics.jpg (155.63 KiB) Viewed 25635 times

lighting.jpg
Strip lighting
lighting.jpg (166.89 KiB) Viewed 25635 times

As you can see I have started moving some of my junk into the new workshop. I had to move it out of the spare bedroom as we had some friends staying.
There is a load more spread around the house that I have yet to move.
As you can see I have a boxford lathe. I agonised about buying this instead of a myford 7 and finally chose this one as it is in very good condition and in my opinion is better than a myford super 7 with gearbox.
I am interested in making tools for clockmaking and want to use the boxford for that.
I think Myfords are rather over priced for what they are. This lathe has induction hardened ways and power cross feed and is in very good condition with hardly any backlash and it probably cost half of
what I would have had to pay for an equivalent Myford.
Having said that,I do have a small Myford speed 10 which I am hoping to set up as a dedicated wheel cutting lathe. These are really solid, good quality little lathes.

junk.jpg
Lathe plus junk
junk.jpg (216.69 KiB) Viewed 25635 times

I am now working on constructing some fitted desks to go along the front windows.
I'll download some more pictures when that is completed.
brianw

Postby Bob Tascione » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:35 am

Wow Brian what an incredible shop!
You've done such a beautiful job on everything. It's seems to be perfectly situated for capturing natural sunlight. There's no better or more soothing lighting in my opinion for doing watch work than the spectrum that natural sunlight covers. Maybe our eyes have evolved to take advantage of all that natural light has to offer.
Are you also going to be moving some benches in there or will you be building everything into the shop?

Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby brianw » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:19 pm

As you may have guessed, I'm building my own units.
I looked into buying some office furniture, but that made it look like an office. I then looked for workshop/garage furniture and that was either
way too expensive or I just didn't like it.
By designing and building my own units I get exactly what I want. There is a desk type area beneath the front windows where you can sit, and the
rest is drawers and cupboards for storage.
cabinets_1.jpg
The main carcase
cabinets_1.jpg (239.69 KiB) Viewed 25324 times

I have now fitted the drawers without fronts which will be fitted next. The doors, which you can see stacked up under the drill, will be next
followed by a solid beech worktop.
cabinets2.jpg
Drawers installed
cabinets2.jpg (232.66 KiB) Viewed 25324 times

This is taking a lot longer than buying some furniture, and it means that I have got to wait longer before I can get back to my clocks, but I think
that taking the extra time now to get it right will pay off in the end.
brianw

Postby rgmt79 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:05 am

Looking really great Brian, it will be a real pleasure to work in there when it's all done...wow, what a journey to get this far:-)

Richard
rgmt79

Postby brianw » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:57 am

Hi Richard.
Thanks for your response.
Unfortunately I have to stop work on the shop for the next couple of months. I still have to take time to make a living and we are going away for a month mid September.
I do have a milling machine on order which should arrive soon and I will post a photograph when it arrives.
I will get back to furnishing the workshop when we return in mid October and will hopefully get it operational by Christmas.
It has been a long slog to have got this far, but I really think it is going to be worth the wait.
Regards, Brian
brianw

Postby willofiam » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:34 am

VERY nice Brian.....still waiting for you to come over and build mine :D cant wait for the final set up.
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby Phil McCabe » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:16 am

Hello Brian,
Perfect, Perfect, Perfect shop!
I would write much more but I'm drooling on my keyboard and don't want to short my computer out.
You sure do excellent work! Thanks for the inspirational photos.

Best,
Phil
Phil McCabe

Postby brianw » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi Everyone.
I'm back on track and here are some recent photos.
P1040504.jpg
Outside is finished.
P1040504.jpg (336.99 KiB) Viewed 23768 times

As you can see, I have added an outside light and some security cameras. I don't like the cameras, but we have had things stolen in the past
and I don't feel too comfortable about leaving valuable equipment out in the garden when we are not around.
P1040501.jpg
Desks finished
P1040501.jpg (216.78 KiB) Viewed 23768 times

The desks and cupboards are finished and ready to go.
P1040502.jpg
New (second hand) milling machine
P1040502.jpg (216.81 KiB) Viewed 23768 times

The new milling machine is in it's new home. Neither the lathe nor the milling machine are wired in yet. They are both three phase
and I need to get an inverter for them to work. I'm going to just get one inverter for the two as they will never be used at the
same time.
P1040503.jpg
Sink and cupboard space.
P1040503.jpg (188.55 KiB) Viewed 23768 times

I have finished plumbing in the sink. Hidden under the sink is a water heater which is nice. You can also see the wiring for the internet
which is up and running. I've connected a second router to the one in the main house and have activated the wireless facility. I've also fitted
some hard wired ethernet sockets above the desks so that I don't have to rely on wireless for any fixed peripherals I may use in the future.
I have also installed an extractor fan above the draining board which I finished wiring in today. That isn't shown in these photographs.
The next stage is to get another worktop installed for some of the smaller machines and to get that three phase inverter installed.
I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel..........
Regards, Brian
brianw

Postby jim1228 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:33 pm

Outstanding!

Jim
jim1228

Postby willofiam » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:35 am

Very nice!!! inspiring...
willofiam

Postby brianw » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:38 pm

Time to upload some more pictures.
I've included some of my woodwork shed where I have been constructing the desks and the bench for the clockshop.
Some of the pictures show the main bench under construction. I've made it in two halves which are jointed together as it
is too big to transport between the two shops.
woodwork-shed.jpg
Woodwork shed
woodwork-shed.jpg (363.11 KiB) Viewed 22800 times

woodwork1.jpg
Bench Construction
woodwork1.jpg (243.99 KiB) Viewed 22800 times

woodwork2.jpg
Bench Constuction
woodwork2.jpg (224.57 KiB) Viewed 22800 times

woodwork3.jpg
Bench Construction
woodwork3.jpg (213.06 KiB) Viewed 22800 times
brianw

Postby brianw » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:54 pm

The bench is now in place and ready for the final construction.
bench_construction.jpg
Final construction
bench_construction.jpg (234.09 KiB) Viewed 22800 times

The following pictures show the completed bench and also the inverter, extractor fan,
three phase wiring loom and some of my equipment.
workshop4.jpg
Completed bench and wiring.
workshop4.jpg (232.33 KiB) Viewed 22800 times

workshop5.jpg
Extractor, inverter and some clocks
workshop5.jpg (227.69 KiB) Viewed 22800 times

workshop6.jpg
The rest
workshop6.jpg (231.68 KiB) Viewed 22800 times

You may have noticed that the clock on the wall looks rather modern. Well, it's one of those clocks that are synchronised by a radio
time signal. I guess we all have to have some reference point.
Since these pictures were taken I have rebuilt my myford speed 10 which is on the bench in the middle, and have serviced and repainted
the milling machine and large lathe.
I have been spending some time familiarising myself with the machinery and am finally, after three years, at long last in my own workshop.
It has been a long slog, but I think it is going to be worth it.
There is still some space next to the sink where there are a couple of old tables and a pillar drill where I can install more benches or maybe machines.
I don't want to plan what I am going to put there. I want to start using the workshop and let it evolve from now on. I'm not sure what direction my
endeavours are going to go so I want to leave some space for the unplanned.
I'll let you all know what happens, so watch this space .......
brianw

Postby jim1228 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:32 pm

Awesome shop!
You are one talented guy Brian.

Jim
jim1228

Postby willofiam » Fri May 24, 2019 6:44 am

Very nice Brian, no matter how much bench space you create it always seems to fill up...my biggest problem is finding a open spot on a bench when I need it. Have fun.
willofiam

Postby Phil McCabe » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:06 pm

You have just built the shop of my dreams Brian!
The only thing I would do differently is put my bed in there too!
Amazing work space.
Thanks for posting. I'm motivated now!

Best, Phil
Phil McCabe

PreviousNext

Return to Member Shop Pics.