[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - "Catskillpainter"

"Catskillpainter"

Create your own "Personal Shop Page" Just Start a "New Topic"using your forum User Name as the title and post pics of your shop, tools, you etc.!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Forum rules
Start a "New Topic" using your forum User name as the title and post pics of your shop, tools, you etc.!!
This will be your personal home page.
Post your pics on your personal page only
DO NOT POST YOUR PICS ON ANOTHER PERSONS PERSONAL PAGE UNLESS REQUESTED OR GIVEN PERMISSION BY THE PAGE OWNER

"Catskillpainter"

Postby CatskillPainter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:02 pm

Hello everyone ! I'll use this topic to introduce myself. I'm Jamison Smith. I live in Catskill, New York. I work on clocks when I'm not at my day job, or engaging in some sort of Ebay terrorism. I buy,restore,and sell clocks.I have a preference for cuckoos and American mantle clocks. Eventually, I'd like to start a retail clock repair business here in Catskill. For many years, I've been an amateur artist working in both traditional and digital mediums. My painting experience has proven very helpful in restoring and re-inventing clock cases and dials. I've been tinkering with clocks and watches for a few years now, but I've recently decided to get more serious about the clock work. Several years ago, I had the Tascione watch course on DVD. I made a lot of progress in learning to repair watches, but I eventually decided that clocks were a better fit for me. The clock course and the lathe course have both been extremely helpful, along with a thick stack of books that I've been working my way through. This seems like the perfect place to get to know some people who share my passion for old clocks, old tools, and countless hours happily spent in the shop !
Attachments
me400.jpg
me400.jpg (118.61 KiB) Viewed 29065 times
CatskillPainter

Re: Catskillpainter

Postby CatskillPainter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:18 pm

This used to be the master bedroom. I chose it for my shop as it has really nice built in cabinets. Please don't assume based on this photo that I'm capable of either repairing or paying for Atmos clocks,as neither is actually the case ( I bought it cheap and still regret it ). That old Ingraham mantle clock is more my pace.
Attachments
001.jpg
001.jpg (596.61 KiB) Viewed 29062 times
CatskillPainter

Postby CatskillPainter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:27 pm

In a world of high tech precision machinery, I have chosen to work with the equivalent of a 1958 Edsel. Don't get me wrong; I love my Unimat ! The .0005in dial is only there to prove that I have a sense of humor.
Attachments
002.jpg
002.jpg (586.99 KiB) Viewed 29062 times
CatskillPainter

Postby CatskillPainter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:44 pm

If you ever see a homeless man clutching a tattered wooden box, you can bet that there's a black Unimat tag on the front of it. He'll be holding it tightly, and gently caressing its weathered finish. It's all he has left, since all of his other possessions, and even his sanity, have slipped away in his pursuit of an endless list of ridiculous Unimat attachments.
Attachments
003.jpg
003.jpg (608.86 KiB) Viewed 29060 times
CatskillPainter

Postby CatskillPainter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:52 pm

I got a big pile of plastic ice cube trays from the dollar store. They're great both on the workbench, and in drawers. If you want to pack them away with small parts in them, just wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and nothing can fall out. I use a lot of Dremel tool attachments in the lathe.
Attachments
004.jpg
004.jpg (688.51 KiB) Viewed 29059 times
CatskillPainter

Postby CatskillPainter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:15 pm

I use this contraption for bushings, among other things. I use KWM bushings and tools. The reamers fit the adapter somewhat loosely and self-center, so drill press run out is not an issue if you're careful. The holder for the clock plates is commercially available. I've attached a steering wheel spinner to the forward pulley using a section of v belting and a modified clamp, so I can do delicate work slowly, by hand, for more control. The spinner can easily be removed to run the drill press with the motor.
Attachments
005.jpg
005.jpg (614.65 KiB) Viewed 29058 times
CatskillPainter

Postby willofiam » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:24 pm

Howdy and welcome, looks like a very nice work space ;) , I like the bench area in particular. Using both sides, I am toying with the very same concept in my shop for the lathes I use (the island area). I understand the endless list or possibly lust for tools and attachments. you see, under that blinding mask of tool insanity still lies the glimmer of reason. for the want of the attachment missing from the box is the sane reasoning in how to acquire it. until the late night hour in the shadows of the gloomy shop, hungry yet happy we wring our hands in anticipation of the day the new possession actually comes in handy and makes life easier, the flooding thoughts of reason say how insane the quest has been. I am sorry but from my experience.......there is no hope :roll: ..... just acceptance. hope your day is filled with joy :D , William
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby CatskillPainter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:26 pm

The big basket doesn't fit in the ultrasonic cleaner. I use it to hold things while drying them with a hair dryer ( A dryer box wouldn't help me, because I'd be far too obsessive compulsive to walk away from one while the dryer was running).
Attachments
006.jpg
006.jpg (509.28 KiB) Viewed 29058 times
CatskillPainter

Postby CatskillPainter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:35 pm

I knew just from looking around his website that Bryan Mumford was a pretty smart guy. When I received my MicroSet Timer, and I found a bag of M & Ms in the box, I was instantly convinced that he's a genius. The real question is, why does that switch say "NO" ?
Attachments
007.jpg
007.jpg (559.12 KiB) Viewed 29057 times
CatskillPainter

Postby CatskillPainter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:53 pm

These clock sized depthing tools are getting really hard to find. Why do I need it ? Because Donald De Carle said so - that's why ! He also says I need North facing windows and a brown linoleum floor. I hope the depthing tool makes up for it. ( Dead horologists don't actually talk to me. If they do start talking to me, I'll take up stamp collecting instead. )
Attachments
008.jpg
008.jpg (596.93 KiB) Viewed 29055 times
CatskillPainter

Postby CatskillPainter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:05 pm

Resistance soldering can be really handy for cuckoo clocks with all their different animations. This old 500 watt unit was made in 1968. This picture is proof positive of my vintage appliance fetish.
Attachments
009.jpg
009.jpg (645.61 KiB) Viewed 29055 times
CatskillPainter

Postby CatskillPainter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:15 pm

I built this stand for cuckoo clocks. It allows me to tinker with the movements and animations while they're installed in the case and running. The top metal bars are adjustable, and it has leveling feet on each corner. Notice the hanger for running movements out of the case, and the backboard to keep large clocks with odd shaped woodwork from falling forward.
Attachments
010.jpg
010.jpg (624.55 KiB) Viewed 29052 times
CatskillPainter

Postby CatskillPainter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:23 pm

I use a bulk tape eraser for demagnetizing tools and things. The tractor weight and the old impact sockets make great anvils. The workbench itself rests on an old Futon frame. The glass shelves are from a bay window that I took apart ( The soft jaws on the larger bench vise are made from one of the windows vinyl channels ).
Attachments
011.jpg
011.jpg (622.17 KiB) Viewed 29051 times
CatskillPainter

Postby CatskillPainter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:39 pm

CatskillPainter

Postby CatskillPainter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:58 pm

I stopped counting the clocks a long time ago.
Attachments
012.jpg
012.jpg (638.33 KiB) Viewed 29047 times
CatskillPainter

Postby willofiam » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:15 pm

So how long did it take to clean up for your presentation? :D by the way you are doing a excellent job at it and have some great ideas..I like the way your showing each section in your shop..I might have to copy that idea....Please dont sell your soul though, I think that may be all thats left after everything else rusts away. Oh and by the way I meant that there is no hope for the mental battle of rationalization and justification BUT of course there is hope for the addicted, I have come to accept the fact that I am like a fish, anything shinny I am attracted to.... if I bite on it I just take the ride and if it starts to taste funny when reason returns try and wiggle myself out of it. William
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby gerene » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:30 am

Very nice shop indeed. Looks like you have a nice set of tools!
gerene

Postby CatskillPainter » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:35 am

CatskillPainter

Postby CatskillPainter » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:38 am

CatskillPainter

Postby Bob Tascione » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:40 pm

Good to see you up here Jamison!
You've come up with some very clever ideas for dressing up that shop!
Thanks for posting all that info. Very inspiring page for all of us.

Bob
Bob Tascione

Next

Return to Member Shop Pics.