[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Using a Bow Mill...PART I

Using a Bow Mill...PART I

Have a good repair tip for the rest of us? Please post it here.

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Using a Bow Mill...PART I

Postby tmac1956 » Fri May 09, 2014 6:47 am

Well, I finally decided to try to figure out how to use the old bow mill that I picked with some other tools a while back. I'm using nickle silver wire as I don;t have any silver wire large enough.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a jeweler and I figure one could cast a better bow than by bending the wire.

1) I found a piece of rod stock the diameter of the I.D. of the bow that I wanted. I placed it in my vise and clamped the wire as shown.
IMG_0231.JPG
Set up...
IMG_0231.JPG (75.51 KiB) Viewed 8465 times

2) Wire bent around the rod stock.
IMG_0232.JPG
bent wire..
IMG_0232.JPG (75.43 KiB) Viewed 8465 times

3) Wire prior to cutting.
IMG_0234.JPG
Rough loop...
IMG_0234.JPG (59.42 KiB) Viewed 8465 times

4) I used cutters to cut the wire and left a small gap to clear the pendant.
IMG_0235.JPG
Wire cut...
IMG_0235.JPG (69.74 KiB) Viewed 8465 times

continued...
tmac1956

Using a Bow Mill...PART II

Postby tmac1956 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:03 am

5) Next I filed the ends to flatten the deformation left by the end nippers.
IMG_0240.JPG
Bow ends filed...
IMG_0240.JPG (54.35 KiB) Viewed 8463 times

6) I set up the bow mill in a small vise.
IMG_0243.JPG
Bow mill in vise...
IMG_0243.JPG (74.16 KiB) Viewed 8463 times

7) I finally figured out what the spring loaded plunger was for - it holds the bow in place by placing tension with the spring arm. As you crank the handle, it seems to help by milling in both directions. One could reduce the ends down further by using successively smaller milling holes.
IMG_0244.JPG
Preparing to mill the bow end..
IMG_0244.JPG (67.7 KiB) Viewed 8463 times

8) This is what I ended up with. It's not very good, but with a little more effort I think it will work for pocket watches.
IMG_0249.JPG
IMG_0249.JPG (51.27 KiB) Viewed 8463 times

NOTE! No choice expletives where used in the making of this presentation. ;)
tmac1956

Re: Using a Bow Mill...PART I

Postby Arutha » Fri May 09, 2014 10:15 am

Nice post Tom, it always takes a bit of practice to get used to a new tool. Thanks for taking the time to post it up, I have never seen one of these before and I am sure it will be a very useful tool as you quite often see bows missing.
Paul.
Arutha

Postby jim1228 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:24 am

Great set up and awesome pics

Jim
jim1228

Postby tmac1956 » Fri May 09, 2014 11:15 am

All:

Thanks for the support. It's a neat little tool and I've never seen anything on how to use it. You'd think YouTube would have at least one video on this topic. If it does, I can't find one.

Thanks!
Tom
tmac1956

Postby willofiam » Fri May 09, 2014 11:50 am

Hey Tom, looks fun..... do you think you have to flatten the ends seeing as your milling the ends anyway? just a thought. William
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby tmac1956 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:49 pm

William:

Maybe... but I'm not sure I understand how to flatten them...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Tom
tmac1956

Postby tmac1956 » Fri May 09, 2014 2:32 pm

tmac1956

Postby david pierce » Wed May 14, 2014 10:11 pm

Tom,
Try a brass rod, it will machine easier than nickel. You can make a ring roller with the tools you have that will roll a perfect ring but it is difficult to describe in a post. Harbor Freight sells them for not a whole lot of money and you can probably find them for sale on Ebay. When you see a picture of one you will understand how they work and can size it down to the size ring you want
david.
david pierce

Postby tmac1956 » Thu May 15, 2014 7:50 am

David:

I'll search for those - I've never heard of these before.

Thanks!
Tom
tmac1956

Return to Hints, Tips and Tricks