[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Pivot/staff adjustment for watches...

Pivot/staff adjustment for watches...

Have a good repair tip for the rest of us? Please post it here.

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Pivot/staff adjustment for watches...

Postby tmac1956 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:36 pm

All:

Here's a little tool that I've found helpful when working with pocket watches - especially full plate watches. I know that clock guys have used these forever and probably watch guys too. Anyway, everyone knows the pleasure of trying to get pivots to line up in the jewel holes when putting on the plate. The hook allows me to push or pull a staff until it falls into place. Bob shared this tip with me... turn the movement upside down and the pivots fall into place easier!

Well here it is - just a bent piece of steel wire that was hardened and then annealed.
tool.jpg
tool.jpg (67.94 KiB) Viewed 3579 times

I know its simple, but it sure helps me.

Thanks!
Tom
tmac1956

Re: Pivot/staff adjustment for watches...

Postby david pierce » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:37 am

That is a neat tool Tom. I did something similar by taking small sewing needles and grinding out the eyes in different configurations. Grinding it off flat would give me a forked push tool, and grinding away the side would give me a smalll hook for pulling. For the handle I used a piece of bamboo shish-ka-bob skewer sawn to length. I then pressed the point of the needle into the end of the skewer section and never had any problems with it comming out.
david
david pierce

Return to Hints, Tips and Tricks