[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Benchtop idea

Benchtop idea

Have a good repair tip for the rest of us? Please post it here.

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Benchtop idea

Postby willofiam » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:27 am

Well, I decided to make some new benches in the shop. I did not want to spend very much so over the last month I came up with some pretty good ideas. Wanting something very sturdy yet cheap was the goal. I found someone nearby selling solid core wood doors. Pleasantly surprised at the size and condition I bought 10 from him (he had over 200 at one time and he was ready to sell what he had left). They are 125pounds each, will be very stable having the particle board core and a maple veneer surface (good light color)...they are 36" x 106" x 1-3/4" thick. I will drill out the handle holes for electrical grommets and cover the hinge plate cutouts with some solid wood. They cost me $25.00 each
DSCN8626_01.JPG
DSCN8626_01.JPG (16.59 KiB) Viewed 18785 times
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Re: Benchtop idea

Postby willofiam » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:44 am

Now I had to figure out what to use for legs, I was ready to buy 4x4s for what I was planning to do they would have cost me $200 plus. It came to me one early mourning that I should drive by a commercial building site and see if the had any dunnage (not sure if thats a word but thats what we call it up here)...... that I could buy from them possibly cheaper than buying the new 4x4's. WHALLA, :shock: there was a large pile that the foreman said he had been waiting for someone to grab so he didnt have to pay for them to be hauled away. So I found bench-top legs for free and not only that but they solid soft maple, oak, and ash.
DSCN8627_01.JPG
DSCN8627_01.JPG (17.48 KiB) Viewed 18784 times

Of course they were full of mud and such, nothing a power washer couldnt rectify. If you dont have a power washer the local car-wash would work, or a wire brush and garden hose.
DSCN8631_01.JPG
DSCN8631_01.JPG (25.21 KiB) Viewed 18784 times

Nice and clean drying in the sun... ;)
DSCN8633_01.JPG
DSCN8633_01.JPG (27.94 KiB) Viewed 18784 times
willofiam

Postby willofiam » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:58 am

Time to put it all together. I reused some 2x4's I had from another project. Total cost of material for each 3 x 9 bench (besides time) $25.00 :D

first I put cleats on the wall. 2x4's screwed to the studs
DSCN8634_01.JPG
DSCN8634_01.JPG (13.55 KiB) Viewed 18783 times

next, using the level off the top of the cleat I marked the leg and cut to length. The reason for doing it this way is because my cement floor is a bit uneven so marking them each in the spot they were going saves time in leveling the whole bench. My idea was to have 2/3rds of the top mounted over the legs and cleat giving me 1 foot of over hang, doing it this way allows me to run continuous drawers along the front at the same time being very stable. This wall is the watchmakers area (now I just need a watchmaker :roll: ) that will accommodate 2 of my watchmakers benches
DSCN8636_01.JPG
DSCN8636_01.JPG (14.33 KiB) Viewed 18783 times
DSCN8637_01.JPG
DSCN8637_01.JPG (15.77 KiB) Viewed 18783 times
willofiam

Postby Bob Tascione » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:36 am

Great thread William!
Once again you seem to find the best deals on tools, machines and supplies out there and then turn them into amazing things!
That's going to be a beautiful bench. Looking forward to more pics as you go.

Thanks!
Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby willofiam » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:13 am

Hey Bob, thank you :D I think the point I would like to get across is if your patient and a bit creative you can come up with some pretty nice stuff for a decent price.

O.K. here is a idea. If you have a existing hole in a counter top and you want to make is bigger the best way I have found for doing this is to cut a hole in a separate board.
DSCN8639_01.JPG
DSCN8639_01.JPG (24.02 KiB) Viewed 18777 times

then by clamping that board to your top you can easily drill out the new size hole in the same spot and the drill bit will not wander on you.
DSCN8646_01.JPG
DSCN8646_01.JPG (13.2 KiB) Viewed 18777 times
DSCN8648_01.JPG
DSCN8648_01.JPG (14.48 KiB) Viewed 18777 times
DSCN8653_01.JPG
DSCN8653_01.JPG (15.07 KiB) Viewed 18777 times
WHALLA
willofiam

Postby willofiam » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:20 am

Her we have one wall of benches almost complete, besides the right end top, drawers and trim on the front edge.....almost done with this section. I wanted to keep the height at this level for easier use of other items and keeping all the benches at the same level. I am still debating on what type of storage and shelving I will put along the wall.

DSCN8655_01.JPG
DSCN8655_01.JPG (15.46 KiB) Viewed 18777 times
DSCN8657_01.JPG
DSCN8657_01.JPG (19.42 KiB) Viewed 18777 times
willofiam

Postby Arutha » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:20 pm

I am speechless mate, the big guy upstairs certainly gave you an extra helping of brains. So when can you come and do mine ;)
Very nice job William and I love the way you have built the worktops around your bench and mine :)
Paul.
Arutha

Postby willofiam » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:56 pm

Hey Paul thank you...but its not me thats smart, I am just starting to learn to listen to my wife :lol:

When I put these watchmakers benches in I had a vision as I looked at them.....I saw someone working at the brown colored bench, all I saw was his back and now that you mention it his head was shaped just like yours :D I think it WAS you!!!!! Tomorrow I will start to terrorize the neighbors so they move out.....then you and your family can move in and we can be partners ;)
willofiam

Postby jim1228 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:12 am

Holy smoke William,
That looks great!
Jim
jim1228

Postby Bob Tascione » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:55 pm

I love the inset watch benches William! Clever idea!
Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:31 am

Very nicely done William. Looks like a well thought out bench arrangement.
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Postby willofiam » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:42 pm

Thanks guys :D :D :D I just wanted to give the idea on a few things here. what you see is 1/4 of the whole set up. Today I just sprayed the trim and drawer fronts and will be applying them shortly. I will be posting the new arrangement in my shop section in a few days. Thanks again for the nice comments. William
willofiam

Postby Bob Tascione » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:38 am

Hey William,
Hope you figured another way out of that place cuz that door at the end of the bench may not work too well now :D .
Looking forward to see more pics.

Adios,
Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby willofiam » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:42 am

No prob Bob, I purposely blocked that door, you know.....to keep the riff raff out....David, Chris, Paul, Jim, and the likes :D :lol:
willofiam

Postby willofiam » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:43 am

OH, I forgot Tom, Randy and and and and......................
willofiam

Postby david pierce » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:21 pm

William,
I recently bought a watchmaker bench similar to the dark one on the left. As far as I can tell the only difference is mine has a drawer that goes into the square hole on the left.
david
david pierce

Postby willofiam » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:28 pm

David, Thats the one my wife bought me for our anniversary a couple of years ago, it was in rough shape so I fixed and refinished, also put the top on, 1/4" melamine and edging to hold tools. I have seen some with that drawer your talking about, I always thought that cubby hole would be to reach in and tighten or loosen the watchmakers lathe base. nice bench. William
willofiam

Postby david pierce » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:14 am

William,
You certainly have the skill and equipment to make a replacement drawer or the whole bench for that matter. Nice work.
david
david pierce

Return to Hints, Tips and Tricks