How to easily bend the wire on a new crutch??

Have a good repair tip for the rest of us? Please post it here.

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

How to easily bend the wire on a new crutch??

Postby slattery51 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:19 am

Can any one tell me how to make the bends in a new crutch wire?? Mine always come out looking like they were chewed on!!! Unsightly, the wire is very brittle on the new ones I buy, last night I went to bend one, and the wire broke off immediately. This is one area I could really use some help in... the other is I had to put in a new verge pin, and it seems to come loose no matter what I do. If I try and use a riveting technique to expand it, the blue steel is to hard, and I bend it regardless..... Someone pleas help me as I am on the VERGE....of throwing this OG movement back where it came from..LOL thanks all Dave S.
slattery51

Re: How to easily bend the wire on a new crutch??

Postby SteveFitzwater » Thu May 04, 2017 7:36 pm

Not sure if this will help you with the wire bending, but somewhere I seen one of these, so I made a set for myself, took a flat screw driver and filed a slot into the center of the blade, the slot is slightly bigger then the wires I am looking to bend (hammers), I made TWO of these of each size I have needed, cheap flat screwdrivers are not had to find, and they made some very nice wire bending tools, the reason for two is in tight spots, I use one to hold the wire and the other to bend the wire, thus controlling where I want the bend at.

Now you say you are using steel for the crutch.. most crutches I have dealt with are brass and thus easy to bend/shape as needed, and the riveting is easy, not saying steel is not correct, but I just have never dealt with one.
to first succeed, one must put forth the effort worthy of the success
SteveFitzwater

Postby slattery51 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:19 pm

Hey Steve, thanks for the tip, with the wire bending tool, I guess I never thought of using them for the crutch, but will certainly try this out tomorrow... the next thing is , the crutch wire is of course brass, but what I am talking about is the steel pin the verge rocks on.... the old OG works pin, is out and I am trying to put in a new one...I have tried to close the hole a little, and friction fit a new steel pin in. It stays tight for a short time but eventually becomes loose, and then the pallets won't stay even on the escape wheel.. sounds like a simple fix, perhaps I need to a soft type of metal pin, but then it would be easy to bend, and I am right back to square one,,, anyway I"ll keep plugging a way.... best regards Dave.
slattery51

Postby SteveFitzwater » Sat May 06, 2017 5:58 pm

try a bit of shellac
to first succeed, one must put forth the effort worthy of the success
SteveFitzwater

Postby jspenard » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:16 am

Hi Steve,

Although I am fairly new to this trade, I've had the same frustrating issue. I got some good advice from the nice gentleman at Mile High Clock Supplies. Try using a pair of "round nose pliers" and practice on some old wire. That seems to have worked best for me. I hope this helps. Have a great day and keep on ticking! :) John
jspenard

Return to Hints, Tips and Tricks