[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Disassembly Memory Loss

Disassembly Memory Loss

Have a good repair tip for the rest of us? Please post it here.

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Re: Disassembly Memory Loss

Postby Bamadadof3 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:23 pm

Bamadadof3

Postby Dave Booth » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:36 am

When I was first starting out in the clock repair business, Bob Goodman, who was teaching me, told me to get a set of watch screwdrivers for those smaller French clock screws. I sent an order off to S LaRose (an admission of which, I suppose "dates" me) <grin> for their Bergeon screwdrivers, and when they arrived, proudly carted them into work with me the following Saturday. (The deal was I worked half days on Saturdays for Bob Goodman in his shop, and in exchange for that, he taught me clock repair). He looked at them and apologized profusely, for not telling me to avoid their brand, He said that Bergeon items were invariably nearly 50% higher in price than anyone else for the same item.
Dave Booth

Postby Dave Booth » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:22 pm

Styrofoam egg cartons make handy separators for small to medium sized clocks. You can lay all the time associated parts in one row of egg holders, and all the strike related ones in the other row. If you leave the carton open, strike wires and assorted pieces like pendulum leaders and such can lay in the lid.
Here is a French (Vincenti) clock which is partially disassembled . Note that I placed the time parts in the upper row,a nd the strike parts in the lower. You can see a little bit of the pendulum rod ying in the open lid. (Also note that I kept each tapered pin with its associated part - that little trick can save you lots of frustration, comes time to reassemble it.)

Also, because Styrofoam is compressible, you can fold the carton closed and label it with a magic marker, if you are working on more than one clock at a time.

(Click on image to view full without scrolling)
Attachments
Vincenti 01.JPG
Vincenti 01.JPG (97.53 KiB) Viewed 8325 times
Dave Booth

Postby gerene » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:36 pm

Thanks for the tip, Dave.
gerene

Postby clockmanbill » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:28 pm

this may sound a bit dumb, but what I do for cleaning clock parts is run a thin wire threw each train and that keeps them safe. The small parts I use tea bubbles to hold them together. Just a thought.
clockmanbill

Previous

Return to Hints, Tips and Tricks