[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Making multi tooth cutters - Part 1

Making multi tooth cutters - Part 1

The Clock 'Making' Forum is dedicated to clock parts fabrication and clock building techniques. All members are welcome and encouraged to share their related projects, ideas, comments and questions. Please use the "General Forum" for all repair questions or other topics not related to the actual making of parts.

All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Making multi tooth cutters - Part 1

Postby willofiam » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:30 pm

I have been working on a system for making multi tooth wheel and pinion cutters. My goal has been to make them quickly yet accurately. There are several ways to go about making these and I have researched many books on the subject (not all I am sure).
Even though I have had little experience making cycloidal form cutters there was always something nagging at me about the process of figuring out the exact cycloidal form and achieving that in a cutter for a specific wheel or pinion. I did stumbled across one book that has slowed my head from spinning.

The book is "The Clock and Watch Makers Guide to Gear Making" by Robert Porter
In his book he has pre-calculated gear set (wheel and pinion) cutter measurements and given quick references. Along with gear set and cutter design sheets (just plug in the #'s). These quick references provide cutter width at minor diameter, cutter radial flank angles, cutter profile length, form tool radius, cutter working depth, ect...Some ideas and designs for tooling and much more.

Another book I have thumbed thru many a time is Malcolm Wilds "Wheel and Pinion Cutting in Horology".... a fantastic book and well worth it for many reasons.

I cant say enough about anyone who spends the huge amount of time to compile these types of books for us to learn from...

At this point I am following Robert Porters methods and sprinkling in a plethora of ideas and methods from everyone else.
I have reason to believe this process can be used for making cutters for watch gear sets, ratchets, escape wheels, ect...with some imagination.

Have a great day.
William

BACK TO FORUM INDEX PAGE: http://clockrepairtips.com/forum/index.php

BACK TO FORUM INDEX PAGE: http://clockrepairtips.com/forum/index.php
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Re: Making multi tooth cutters

Postby gerene » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Thanks William. Very educational video. I am looking forward to see the rest of it!

Jan
gerene

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:55 am

Great video William. Excellent info.
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Postby brianw » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:08 pm

Thanks William, Keep up the good work. Brian
brianw

Postby willofiam » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:23 am

Hey... thanks guys :) I am going to try and keep the length of the videos a bit shorter, could be a few more than I was planning but I will let you all know.....Should be more exciting as we get into it.
Jan, for some reason while I was working on this you were on my mind, I guess its because I am assuming you like the math and theory behind it all. Have fun, William
willofiam

Postby gerene » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:44 am

William, you are right in your assumption that I like the theory and certainly the math behind all this. I am interested in Porter's book that you mention, but I could not yet find a source for it on this side of the ocean. I do have Malcolm Wild's book "Wheel and Pinion Cutting in Horology".
I am also curious for the heat treatment, it is like "black magic" to me. Could you show this as well? (Just asking) ;)

Jan
gerene

Postby willofiam » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:14 pm

Jan, I found one of Robert Porters books on Amazon but I do not known how all that works around the world. Let me know if you continue to have trouble finding one.
As for heat treating I too am working at that, to me, I think there are very practical shop practices for clocks and watches BUT I can get all "hot around the collar" up when trying to decipher the science behind heat treating and all the different types of metals. If I remember I will show briefly in the upcoming videos on making the cutters. In the near future I will be posting a new thread on the subject of heat treating, and getting into more detail of what I am learning, hopefully we can rouse up a expert out there.

willofiam

Return to NEW!!! The CLOCKMAKERS Forum - Designing, Building & Parts Fabrication