[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Making a new ratchet wheel click

Making a new ratchet wheel click

The Clock 'Making' Forum is dedicated to clock parts fabrication and clock building techniques. All members are welcome and encouraged to share their related projects, ideas, comments and questions. Please use the "General Forum" for all repair questions or other topics not related to the actual making of parts.

All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Making a new ratchet wheel click

Postby willofiam » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:22 am

A recent customer had brought a clock into the shop for a complete service. One of the issues was a worn out click on the time train winding arbor. What a great opportunity to share my process. In the video I will show how I went about making those parts and look forward to your input.

I cannot seem to find my reference material for the mechanics of a ratchet and click, except for what William O. Smith, Jr has written in his book, "Twenty-first Century Watchmaking" the joy of making parts with ease.

If you have any suggestions on reference material for this subject please post it.

Hope you enjoy, ;) and have a good day....William

BACK TO FORUM INDEX PAGE: http://clockrepairtips.com/forum/index.php

BACK TO FORUM INDEX PAGE: http://clockrepairtips.com/forum/index.php
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Re: Making a new ratchet wheel click

Postby Bob Tascione » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:55 am

Wow William!
You're really cranking out some GREAT material.

Thanks for everything!
Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:13 pm

Another great video William.
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Postby TickTockShoppe » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:57 am

Thank you William
Good work and fantastic machine shop.
Best,
Ian
TickTockShoppe

Postby willofiam » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:42 am

Hey guys, thank you, your kind responses are great motivators. After some bushings and a good cleaning the clock is now up and running... The owner can now wind it up safely and enjoy it for years to come. I am sure you guys have the same satisfaction that comes from being able to repair a families timepiece.....On to the next :D William
willofiam

Postby brianw » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:43 am

Great video William. Keep up the good work....
brianw

Postby willofiam » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Thank you Brian....you too :D
willofiam

Postby abalonajr » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:42 pm

Very interesting William, thank you. Iam just getting into clock repair and trying to learn everything I can. I have been doing small engine repair for 30 years, now my back won't take it anymore so clock repair seems to be just the thing for me. I enjoy reading the forum. The tour of your shop was interesting too.
Thanks,
Tony
abalonajr

Postby willofiam » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:46 am

Hey Tony, Thank you, the shop has changed several times over :roll:
willofiam

Postby rgmt79 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:01 am

It's now almost 2 years since you posted this video William and I want you to know that it's a great help to guys like me who are encountering this kind problem for the first time. I recently acquired a Japanese SEIKOSHA clock with a very similar problem. In my case, the shield had a small hole in it, allowing me access to the rivet without having to remove the shield. Rather than make a new click, I purchased a new one complete with attached click spring from a supply house. However, it came with a poor brass rivet with no shoulder, so I will follow your video and make a new steel rivet. Thanks again, Richard
rgmt79

Return to NEW!!! The CLOCKMAKERS Forum - Designing, Building & Parts Fabrication