[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Making a Clock Cannon Pinion - Part 1

Making a Clock Cannon Pinion - Part 1

The Clock 'Making' Forum is dedicated to clock parts fabrication and clock building techniques. All members are welcome and encouraged to share their related projects, ideas, comments and questions. Please use the "General Forum" for all repair questions or other topics not related to the actual making of parts.

All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Making a Clock Cannon Pinion - Part 1

Postby Arutha » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:58 pm

I am currently in the process of restoring an old English fusee drop dial wall clock. The movement and case are in a sorry state but the main problem is the cannon pinion is missing completely. This thread will show you how Daryn and I went about calculating what was missing and then making it.

To calculate the dimensions of the cannon pinion -
D.O.C = Distance Of Centres - 23.40mm - The distance of centres is the distance between the minute wheel pivot hole and the centre arbor pivot hole (as the centre arbor sits inside the cannon pinion).
We then need to find the "module" by taking half the tooth count of the minute wheel, half the tooth count of the canon pinion (there is a 1:1 ratio between the minute wheel and cannon pinion and as the minute wheel has 40 teeth then so too will the cannon pinion have 40 teeth), which gives us 40.We take 23.40 divided by 40 and this gives us a module of M=0.585
Daryn knows from previous experience it is best to round down a touch on most clocks apart from old English longcase clocks which like a fraction more play so the module is then rounded up a fraction.
We settle on a module of 0.575 and this is now used to work out the diameter of the missing cannon pinion wheel by multiplying it with the number of teeth on the missing wheel plus 2.71 so 0.575 x 42.71 = 24.55mm.

We now have the missing information we need to get started.

First we find a piece of suitable brass close to the same thickness as the minute wheel to mark out the wheel blank. You can use engineers blue for marking out but a permanent marker does the job well.
1a.jpg
1a.jpg (63.42 KiB) Viewed 15083 times

The wheel blank was rougly cut out on a band saw and then we drilled the centre hole so the wheel blank can be fitted to a mandrel for tooth cutting later. We just need to make sure the mandrel isnt bigger than the finished size hole.
2a.jpg
2a.jpg (54.49 KiB) Viewed 15083 times

The wheel is now mounted to the mandrel and turned to its finished diameter of 24.55mm.
3a.jpg
3a.jpg (54.96 KiB) Viewed 15083 times

Daryn has the luxury of a lathe almost permanently set up for wheel cutting. The wheel blank on its arbor is now transferred to this lathe and the lathe can be set up and the cutter fitted ready to cut the teeth.
I am posting up some pictures of the lathe set up so you can see one method for cutting wheel teeth.
4a.jpg
4a.jpg (230.22 KiB) Viewed 15083 times

Daryns lathe is set up with "direct indexing" which just means he can fix different count plates directly to his headstock spindle and as you can see from the first picture there is a brass bar fitted to the back of his lathe with an indexing pin fitted through the top to fit into the holes in the plate.
5a.jpg
5a.jpg (234.26 KiB) Viewed 15083 times

This lathe has its own milling head which can also double up as a drive unit. A pully mounted in a drill chuck is fixed into the milling head and this drives the cutter spindle which is mounted to a vertical slide.
6a.jpg
6a.jpg (277.23 KiB) Viewed 15083 times

The arbor used for holding the wheel blank for cutting has the end cut to a point. This makes things much easier when centering the cutter. If this is not done correctly you end up with a wheel full of off-centre teeth. We now also colour the outside of the wheel blank with ink, the cutter only forms the gaps between the teeth so we will now be able to see when the cutter has gone deep enough and formed the teeth correctly as there will not be any ink left on the tips of the teeth.
8a.jpg
8a.jpg (80.19 KiB) Viewed 15083 times

Here is the wheel after the tooth cutting process is completed -
9a.jpg
9a.jpg (168.62 KiB) Viewed 15083 times

After a little clean up -
10a.jpg
10a.jpg (45.62 KiB) Viewed 15083 times

In part 2 we will be making the pipe and rivetting the two together.
Arutha

Re: Making a Clock Cannon Pinion - Part 1

Postby gerene » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:17 pm

Thanks Paul and Darryn for this explanation and pictures. Nice luxury setup!

Jan
gerene

Postby OldManTime » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:13 am

Yes thank you. Very good information and images.
Oh, to spend a day playing in that shop!!!

Peter
OldManTime

Postby Arutha » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:30 pm

Thanks Jan and Peter :)
Daryn has a fantastic workshop and I do feel very lucky to be being taught by him.
Part 2 to follow soon :)
Paul.
Arutha

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:24 pm

Good stuff Paul. Nice shop setup.
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Postby willofiam » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:07 am

Daryn and Paul, thanks for posting this, of course I knew you were working on this BUT while reading this I had an idea :roll: (oh boy, not again) For my own experiment I will use your measurements and make a cutter to see if it turns out a wheel like the one you made, once again just trying to prove this cutter making process. Cant wait for the rest...great job ;) , see yah soon. William
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby Arutha » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:42 am

Bernie - Thank you, Daryns set up, not mine :( I am kind of replicating it in my own workshop :)

William - Good luck with that and don't forget to post up here how you get on with it. I am glad this forum is giving you something to do, I hate to think of you sitting there twiddling your thumbs ;)
Paul.
Arutha

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:25 pm

Yea Daryn told me you are a copy cat. :lol: :lol:

I actually got to meet him online on the clocksmiths forum. I thought I recognized the name when he answered on of my questions on pivot polishing. Just thought I would let you know. He is a good guy with lots of knowledge.
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Postby Daryn » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:24 pm

Thankyou for the compliments Bernie, you're making me blush!
If anyone has any questions about this feel free to ask.....
Daryn
Daryn

Return to NEW!!! The CLOCKMAKERS Forum - Designing, Building & Parts Fabrication