[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Making multi tooth cutters - Part 2

Making multi tooth cutters - Part 2

The Clock 'Making' Forum is dedicated to clock parts fabrication and clock building techniques. All members are welcome and encouraged to share their related projects, ideas, comments and questions. Please use the "General Forum" for all repair questions or other topics not related to the actual making of parts.

All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Making multi tooth cutters - Part 2

Postby willofiam » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:09 am

Here is part 2 about fabricating multi tooth cutters for clocks. In part 2 I am going to show my process for grinding the radius on the form tool with a grinding jig I made for my lathe. The radius is critical, the jig makes it easy to achieve this radius.
Have fun, William

This will be a multiple video series about my process in making these cutters.
I hope you enjoy, ideas are always welcome.

BACK TO FORUM INDEX PAGE: http://clockrepairtips.com/forum/index.php

BACK TO FORUM INDEX PAGE: http://clockrepairtips.com/forum/index.php
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Re: Making multi tooth cutters

Postby khoward279 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:39 pm

Hi William,
You may already know this but try setting your cutoff tool slightly above center and use constant feed. In my years as a tool maker I have found if your cutting air hardening tool steel, A2 D2 and so on I don't go over 200 rpm and .002 IPR. I also use cutting fluid designed for tapping and use a lot with an acid brush works great on small work. When cutting oil hardening steel, 4140 O1 ect. I cut at no more than 150 and .002 IPM. Try this and see how it works. Thanks for the video's and good luck with your projects. :D
Kevin Howard
khoward279

Postby gerene » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:35 am

Thanks William!
Looking forward to see the rest!

Jan
gerene

Postby willofiam » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:40 pm

Thanks Jan, in the next video I debated on how far to get into the math.....It would take me days :roll: to explain. It also may be best to address the finer points when actually designing and or cutting a true wheel or pinion. Stay tuned. Oh, and don't be shy to get involved in those particular parts, you are probably able to explain those things better than I can.
Kevin, thank you for the advice I really appreciate it, I will try everything you mentioned. Do you think it is possible to have the rpm TOO SLOW? In back gear I can get down to 28rpm. Having the tool bit "just above" center would help me, one thing that I do have happen is the tool bit getting jammed up under the work piece (not fun), yes this can be from wear in my cross slide and such but I am thinking I can adjust for that with your suggestion. Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby OldManTime » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:27 am

Thanks William
Excellent!
Looking forward to the next post and hopefully video.

Peter
OldManTime

Postby willofiam » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:19 pm

Hey Peter, thank you for the reply, I love your forum name.....say, I think I walk by your picture when I come into the shop. Is this you??? or is it Bob??
:D :lol:
DSCN3747_01.JPG
DSCN3747_01.JPG (22.03 KiB) Viewed 21498 times
willofiam

Postby OldManTime » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:07 am

Well William Bob has the beard but I have the years --- many more years than Bob I think so regrettably that would be me. :lol:

Peter
OldManTime

Postby willofiam » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:22 am

That's funny Peter, but just so you know.....I am catching up to you guys real fast.
Keep an eye out for Parts 3 and 4 on this process, coming soon. Have a great day, William
willofiam

Re: Making multi tooth cutters - Part 2

Postby It's Time » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:17 pm

William
I see this is a old post but this might be a little bit of help to cut the small disc. This fella made a plate that sets on the chuck and you can place the disc in the same place everytime. Take a look at this video, I think you might get some good ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ0fs9zknQk

Buy the way I love all of what you have done and I'll be watching
Nelson Collar
It's Time

Postby willofiam » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:14 pm

Hey Nelson, I bought some machinable step collets for the lathe, they work great, Thanks, William
willofiam

Postby It's Time » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:54 pm

William
I just seen this and thought it might help you out with your cutting wheels. I watched a video long time ago and can not remember where it is but here is the gear set up.
http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1245 ... utting-Set

How is you gear cutting along?
Nelson
It's Time

Postby willofiam » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:37 am

Hey Nelson, yes I have seen that, I like his videos..... The process I have shown and the formulas have proven to be accurate many times over and I have used them to create the cutters for clock restorations. I am currently "scrounging" for used manufactured cutters and plan on buying a range of them new for a clock build and to be able to offer a clock wheel cutting service for other clock repairers. Pretty busy getting all my ducks in a row for that.... though I have cut a few wheels for other people recently. Have a great day, William
willofiam

Return to NEW!!! The CLOCKMAKERS Forum - Designing, Building & Parts Fabrication