[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Help with "help circle"?

Help with "help circle"?

The Clock 'Making' Forum is dedicated to clock parts fabrication and clock building techniques. All members are welcome and encouraged to share their related projects, ideas, comments and questions. Please use the "General Forum" for all repair questions or other topics not related to the actual making of parts.

All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Help with "help circle"?

Postby Johnno » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:48 pm

Hi guys. I hope you can help with some tech. drawing. I am on my way to making a snail and I was given some drawings which were referred to as a "help circle". I have never heard of that and I am wondering if it may be known by another name. The purpose seems to be to assist with ratios and as you can see at a radius of 114.6 every 1mm will = 2 degrees. How it works in practice I will figure out later just trying to track down what it is and where I can read up about its purpose. I can vaguely see how it will help, but need to get to the basic understanding of it and its purpose and why it would be referred to as a "help circle"? Thanks in advance if you can help.

John :)

JJvdEwi - Imgur.jpg
JJvdEwi - Imgur.jpg (339.01 KiB) Viewed 6410 times
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." Albert Einstein
Johnno

Re: Help with "help circle"?

Postby Dave Booth » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:32 pm

Maybe they are calling it a "help circle" because it is drawn at a much larger radius than the actual snail. If you draw the circle with (for example) a 2" or 50mm) radius, and use your compass set at the radius to lay out six points on the circumference, you can draw six divisions of the circle. It is an easy step to bisect one of the angles to establish the points for the other six radial lines. Then, having done the layout on a large "help circle", you can reduce the radii to match your particular snail.
Dave Booth

Re: Help with "help circle"?

Postby Johnno » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:41 pm

I think you're right, Dave. I also am thinking the name "help circle" is archaic or someone's "pet" name for it. :)

Thank you.

Cheers
John
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." Albert Einstein
Johnno

Return to NEW!!! The CLOCKMAKERS Forum - Designing, Building & Parts Fabrication