Recent fun parts construction project

The Clock 'Making' Forum is dedicated to clock parts fabrication and clock building techniques. All members are welcome and encouraged to share their related projects, ideas, comments and questions. Please use the "General Forum" for all repair questions or other topics not related to the actual making of parts.

All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Recent fun parts construction project

Postby Dave Booth » Thu May 05, 2016 8:25 pm

A few years ago, I played in the pit orchestra for a production of Cinderella. One of the stage "techies" knew that I messed about with clocks, and asked me if I could create a stage clock that could be set by inexperienced people for 2330, 2352 and 0000 (midnight). The clock face was to be ten to twelve feet above the stage, so the hands would have to be set from behind the stage, by someone standing on the floor. I decided the easiest way would be to create a couple of pulleys, driven by watch lathe belting, with stops, and with a rope that could be operated from below. Here are bunch of photos. As it turned out, the most difficult part was laying out and cutting the hands. I used a piece of lamp pipe for the hour pipe, and 1/4-20 threaded rod for the minute arbor.
Attachments
Mounted motion works, ready for set.JPG
Mounted motion works, ready for set.JPG (98.21 KiB) Viewed 9355 times
Cinderella Hands.JPG
Cinderella Hands.JPG (98.83 KiB) Viewed 9355 times
Minute pinon.JPG
Minute pinon.JPG (101.59 KiB) Viewed 9355 times
Cinderella Pulleys.JPG
Cinderella Pulleys.JPG (78.78 KiB) Viewed 9355 times
Dave Booth

Re: Recent fun parts construction project

Postby Dave Booth » Thu May 05, 2016 8:30 pm

Here are some more photos:
Attachments
Hour PUlley.JPG
Hour PUlley.JPG (65.69 KiB) Viewed 9354 times
Looking up from operating position.JPG
Looking up from operating position.JPG (69.66 KiB) Viewed 9354 times
Cinderella Clock Midnight.JPG
Cinderella Clock Midnight.JPG (54.49 KiB) Viewed 9354 times
Cinderella clock 2330.JPG
Cinderella clock 2330.JPG (58.83 KiB) Viewed 9354 times
Dave Booth

Postby Dave Booth » Thu May 05, 2016 8:37 pm

And here it is at 2352:
I didn't create the dial; that was done by the people doing set design and construction. They just told me the diameter of the minute track, and the height of the hour numerals so that I could design the hands. They had the dial painted before I could tell them that the 4 should be done with four straight lines.
Attachments
Cinderella Clock 2352.JPG
Cinderella Clock 2352.JPG (59.9 KiB) Viewed 9354 times
Dave Booth

Postby OldTimers » Mon May 16, 2016 9:26 am

Dave,,
That is a very very clever design and must have been a interesting and fun project.

John
OldTimers

Return to NEW!!! The CLOCKMAKERS Forum - Designing, Building & Parts Fabrication