[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Building a Grasshopper Escapement Skeleton Clock

Building a Grasshopper Escapement Skeleton Clock

The Clock 'Making' Forum is dedicated to clock parts fabrication and clock building techniques. All members are welcome and encouraged to share their related projects, ideas, comments and questions. Please use the "General Forum" for all repair questions or other topics not related to the actual making of parts.

All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Re: Building a Grasshopper Escapement Skeleton Clock

Postby It's Time » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:26 pm

Will
You have made it look too easy, beautiful build. Can not wait to see it alive, tick-tock.
Good luck
Nelson
It's Time

Postby SteveFitzwater » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:58 pm

Very interesting lil project William, I will be up your way in March for a couple days, I am going to try and work in a visit, if I can get it worked in, I will give you a warning call first..
to first succeed, one must put forth the effort worthy of the success
SteveFitzwater

Postby willofiam » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:58 am

Nelson...thanks for the uplifting comment....really...I think I make it as difficult as possible :roll:
Steve, would be nice to see yah, hope everything is well with you and yours.
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby jim1228 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:17 am

William,
Outstanding job on the clock build. I will be putting in my request for mine.
Jim
jim1228

Postby willofiam » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:28 pm

That sounds good Jim, it will cost you double :D

O.K. now we move on to making the fusee barrel. A 2 1/4"diameter chunk of C360 will do. First drilling and reaming a hole to the proper size for a good fit to O-1 tool steel the proper diameter, face off and drill centers. Using red high strength thread locker notice the machinist clamp on the arbor. This was a nice aid for pre-measureing and using as a stop while quickly slipping it all together. Too much time spent finding the right spot and you can end up with it locked in the wrong area so being able to work quickly with this thread locking stuff is critical.
DSCN9597_01.JPG
DSCN9597_01.JPG (35.67 KiB) Viewed 21149 times
DSCN9603_01.JPG
DSCN9603_01.JPG (44.1 KiB) Viewed 21149 times
DSCN9604_01.JPG
DSCN9604_01.JPG (45.72 KiB) Viewed 21149 times
DSCN9605_01.JPG
DSCN9605_01.JPG (34.01 KiB) Viewed 21149 times
willofiam

Postby willofiam » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:05 pm

Setting up in the lathe it is best to be able to do all these next operations without taking it out of the lathe. I used a collet chuck instead of going between centers or using a 4 jaw. This collet chuck I use is really accurate and with a tail-stock center for good support everything works nice and runs true.
DSCN9606_01.JPG
DSCN9606_01.JPG (50.1 KiB) Viewed 21150 times
Putting the curve in the fusee barrel. The trick here is figuring out the radius and setting up for that. Once the radius is figured I was able to use the center of my compound post for the measurement. By setting a square to the barrel and moving the cross slide out to a predetermine measurement, be very careful not to change or bump the handle on the cross slide. Now we have a accurately measured radius that can be cut by swinging the compound on its axis. This ends up being more of a arch than a proper fusee curve. In the future of the build we will take torque measurements and adjust this arch to the actual mainsprings power being used at each rotation of the fusee barrel.
DSCN9607_01.JPG
DSCN9607_01.JPG (70.4 KiB) Viewed 21150 times
Setting up the tool post I had moved it close to the center of the compound mounting surface. By pulling the cutting tool up to the surface of the barrel and moving the saddle to the left until the apex of the cutter is on the edge of the barrel all we need to do is feed into the work until a arch is made all the way from one end of the barrel to the other. Really the tool post can be set anywhere on there, the idea being that at the apex of the swing of the cutter lining up with the edge of the brass blank, if you havent moved from the original measurement you will get the arch you want. For measurements of diameter of the fusee I am not remembering that the book had any in there so all I did was make sure the larger end was the right size to fit the larger boss on great wheel we just made.
DSCN9608_01.JPG
DSCN9608_01.JPG (66.97 KiB) Viewed 21150 times
Now here is a goofy idea. :roll: While turning the compound by hand I was noticing the swinging action to be jerky and a bit difficult. By adding this wood clamp to the compound it gave me alot more leverage and I was able to stabilize the swinging action for a smoother and cleaner cut.
DSCN9609_01.JPG
DSCN9609_01.JPG (69.38 KiB) Viewed 21150 times
willofiam

Postby willofiam » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:33 pm

And WHALLA, :shock: a curved piece of brass....now what???
DSCN9610_01.JPG
DSCN9610_01.JPG (90.57 KiB) Viewed 21150 times

Well...we need to cut the groove into this brass arch at 12 threads per inch. The trick here is to feed into the work piece while traveling from the right to the left of it. I suppose there are many ways to go about this BUT...I had a idea :roll: here we go again...I had a spring loaded retractable cutter head from a old New Hermes Gravograph. It had just enough travel to cut down to the smaller diameter. By calculating out the size of the nose of the cutter and allowing for a raised shoulder so the cable would not slip out at 12 threads per inch (the book did not have this cutter size) I ground out a piece of HSS round stock. Made a brass collar with a set screw to fit the cutter and ground away one side of it. This collar acted as a depth stop. I hope it will help when I make the final curve adjustments.
DSCN9611_01.JPG
DSCN9611_01.JPG (45.81 KiB) Viewed 21150 times
DSCN9612_01.JPG
DSCN9612_01.JPG (28.69 KiB) Viewed 21150 times
DSCN9613_01.JPG
DSCN9613_01.JPG (29.21 KiB) Viewed 21150 times
willofiam

Postby willofiam » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:46 pm

With the threading dial, a very slow speed, a light touch and set up a stop on the right hand side of the saddle so each return to the right was at the same spot. Simply watch the threading dial, engage the leadscrew at the proper time and push in on the cutter all at the same time....SIMPLE...RIGHT??? I was so excited I forgot to take pictures :D
DSCN9614_01.JPG
DSCN9614_01.JPG (63.43 KiB) Viewed 21150 times
DSCN9615_01.JPG
DSCN9615_01.JPG (66.74 KiB) Viewed 21150 times
DSCN9616_01.JPG
DSCN9616_01.JPG (44.69 KiB) Viewed 21150 times
willofiam

Postby willofiam » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Over at the smaller lathe and milling machine the arbor was taken down to proper sizes, winding square with 2 degree taper milled. Final work on the grooves was done at a later time using a fine file to a polishing stick with polish. If your using cable the grooves are round, if your using a chain then you would make them flat.
DSCN9628_01.JPG
DSCN9628_01.JPG (68.47 KiB) Viewed 21149 times
DSCN9626_01.JPG
DSCN9626_01.JPG (73.82 KiB) Viewed 21149 times
DSCN9627_01.JPG
DSCN9627_01.JPG (43.5 KiB) Viewed 21149 times
willofiam

Postby willofiam » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:30 pm

Here I am crossing out the great wheel. I had decided to cross out the wheels with a bit of a different designed crossing. In the next post or 2 I will show how I used the pantograph for crossing out the wheels with the design I came up with. Marking out, drilling plenty of holes to make it easier on the scroll saw, and filing with the die filer. Alot of hand filing after most material was removed.
DSCN9629_01.JPG
DSCN9629_01.JPG (79.64 KiB) Viewed 21149 times
DSCN9631_01.JPG
DSCN9631_01.JPG (73.82 KiB) Viewed 21149 times
DSCN9633_01.JPG
DSCN9633_01.JPG (57.58 KiB) Viewed 21149 times
DSCN9635_01.JPG
DSCN9635_01.JPG (65.8 KiB) Viewed 21149 times
willofiam

Postby willofiam » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:36 pm

And here we are with it pretty much finished. Ratchet wheel mounted, slip washer made and mounted, it appears it might work. Besides final polishing and adjustments to the fusee curve we can move on to the next exciting part.
DSCN9636_01.JPG
DSCN9636_01.JPG (55.13 KiB) Viewed 21149 times
DSCN9637_01.JPG
DSCN9637_01.JPG (49.85 KiB) Viewed 21149 times
DSCN9638_01.JPG
DSCN9638_01.JPG (58.13 KiB) Viewed 21149 times
willofiam

Postby willofiam » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:51 pm

I had a little trouble figuring out the dimensions for a template to use on the pantograph. The issue was when I reduced down to my smallest wheel crossing I was milling away the spokes, or they became way too thin. So I thought I would first make a actual wheel by hand at the smallest size I wanted. I then laid it in the printer, scanned it to the computer and increased the size to fit a sheet of paper and make my template at that increased size ratio. That worked well and now I can do any size reduction I want for any sized wheel and it will turn out properly.
DSCN9656_01.JPG
DSCN9656_01.JPG (39.23 KiB) Viewed 21148 times
DSCN9653_01.JPG
DSCN9653_01.JPG (38.47 KiB) Viewed 21148 times
willofiam

Postby willofiam » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:56 pm

Here is a You-tube video I did on crossing out the wheels for this clock. Have fun :D
If you have not been to http://learntimeonline.com/ ....check it out. More good information about clock and watch repair.

willofiam

Postby Bob Tascione » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:32 am

WOW!! Great job on that fusee William!
Thanks for the beautiful pics. and explanation.
Looking forward to seeing more.
Bob
Bob Tascione

Postby willofiam » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:25 pm

Hey Bob, thank you, I hope all is well with you and yours. The clock is coming along...slow but sure. I have been extremely busy as of late with customers and cutting a few wheels for some other clock guys around the country. Putting the pedal to the metal so to speak catching up on my backlog...many long hours every day of the week...so I can have some time to focus on finishing this build. My stomach turns every time I walk by it...wanting to get at it. I find that I am more productive (and happy) when I can concentrate my attention to several days of just building the clock instead of a couple of hours here and there. Cant wait to get it done, I have so many of my own ideas for the next one. Thank you for your support. William
willofiam

Postby brianw » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:47 pm

I'm very impressed with everything you have done so far William. This is very inspiring for me. Keep up the good work.
brianw

Postby willofiam » Tue May 02, 2017 8:27 am

Thank you Brian, you always have good things to say, I greatly appreciate that. Have a wonderful day.
willofiam

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Tue May 02, 2017 9:43 pm

Excellent William. I enjoy watching you progress on this. Outstanding work.
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Postby willofiam » Sun May 07, 2017 6:27 am

Hey Bernie, always good to hear from you, I appreciate your comments. Hope all is well and have a great day. William
willofiam

Postby It's Time » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:16 pm

William
I am so sorry I missed most of your build but I can still say how good it looks. You are doing a real nice job. Love how you made your fusee, very creative and final results was superb. I will be following now a little bit more often.
Looking Great, keep up the fine work.
Nelson
It's Time

PreviousNext

Return to NEW!!! The CLOCKMAKERS Forum - Designing, Building & Parts Fabrication