[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tascione • View topic - Screw Threads and Wire Sizes

Screw Threads and Wire Sizes

The Clock 'Making' Forum is dedicated to clock parts fabrication and clock building techniques. All members are welcome and encouraged to share their related projects, ideas, comments and questions. Please use the "General Forum" for all repair questions or other topics not related to the actual making of parts.

All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Screw Threads and Wire Sizes

Postby digitaltripper » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:53 pm

Gentlemen (and gentlewoman's), I have a question regarding screw thread and the making thereof, specifically, how do I determine without trial and error, the size of the wire/material that can be used for a specific thread.

Lets say I have a die that is 80TPI ( 80 Threads Per Inch). What size wire would I use to add threads to?

Does that make sense?

Let us start with that, and we'll get to tapping and drill sizes later.

Yes I have looked on Wikipedia and it did not ( or perhaps I lost interest in the LONGGGGG explanation...) say how to determine wire sizes for the die being used....

Thank you for your time!

Digitaltripper
Jim :mrgreen:
digitaltripper

Re: Screw Threads and Wire Sizes

Postby willofiam » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:46 am

Hey Jim, I think you have to have another # included in your thread sizing. 80 threads per inch can be any size diameter. Now remember I am not very knowledgeable on thread sizes :D for instance a 1/4-20 thread would be 1/4" major diameter and 20 threads per inch.
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Postby digitaltripper » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:58 pm

William, Thank you...Duh I should have thought of that. Would this be 0-80? Anyway I have attached some pics of the tap and die set in question.
Tap & Die 1 (Small).JPG
Tap & Die 1 (Small).JPG (236.63 KiB) Viewed 8398 times
Tap & Die 2 (Small).JPG
My stubby finger points to 80 die
Tap & Die 2 (Small).JPG (232.98 KiB) Viewed 8398 times
Tap & Die 3 (Small).JPG
One US Dime for size comparison
Tap & Die 3 (Small).JPG (229.31 KiB) Viewed 8398 times
My finger is near the 80 die, as well as a picture showing a US Dime for size comparison. For your information, I need to make a new threaded post for a minute arbor and the 80 tap fits the knurled nut for the minute post. Thank you all for your time.

Jim
digitaltripper

Postby willofiam » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:17 am

Jim, here is what I use to figure all that out, it is rather expensive. I use it all the time...There are several other pieces of info you get when using this, major diameter, minor diam. pitch, different drill sizes, ect...for threads...The last photo shows the size of the stock for the 0-80 die....You can also find charts that will give the information for drilling, tapping, thread sizes ect...
DSC01517 (640x360).jpg
DSC01517 (640x360).jpg (174.53 KiB) Viewed 8395 times
DSC01519 (640x360).jpg
DSC01519 (640x360).jpg (171.43 KiB) Viewed 8395 times
DSC01520 (640x360).jpg
DSC01520 (640x360).jpg (156.97 KiB) Viewed 8395 times
DSC01521 (640x360).jpg
DSC01521 (640x360).jpg (172.38 KiB) Viewed 8395 times
Have a great day, William
willofiam

Return to NEW!!! The CLOCKMAKERS Forum - Designing, Building & Parts Fabrication