Another Cleaning Solution Thread

Welcome to the forum!
All visitors are welcome to view topics and posts.
MEMBERSHIP AND POSTING IS RESERVED FOR TASCIONE COURSE MEMBERS ONLY... http://www.tascione.com

Moderators: willofiam, Bob Tascione

Another Cleaning Solution Thread

Postby chaplin37 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:53 pm

I know that there has been tons of threads on cleaning solution, my question is what do people use as a homemade secondary rinse? I use totally awesome to initially clean my clock parts and I believe I read or saw something about using denatured alcohol as a secondary rinse, but wasnt too sure if that would eat away at the lacquer. I'm guessing naptha is probably the best to use as a secondary rinse?
chaplin37

Re: Another Cleaning Solution Thread

Postby Arutha » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:11 pm

I use dish soap and hot water and then rinse again with just water and dry immediately. It could also depend on what you have in your cleaning solution as to why you would use any other liquid as a rinse. I understand some people try to stay "waterless" as the idea of putting water anywhere near steel does seem to go against logical thinking but if done quickly and with a suitable method for drying rust should not be a problem. I have yet to have a problem.
Paul.
Arutha

Postby brianw » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:29 pm

I've been using Isopropyl Alcohol or sometimes called Isopropanol but after reading Paul's reply I wonder if I am doing the right thing. It has always seemed to me that if you get the metal dry quickly, rust should not form as it needs moisture.
I've been using the alcohol to be on the safe side, but is it worth the cost?
Brian
brianw

Postby SteveFitzwater » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:49 am

I use Zip cleaner as my cleaner, then a hot water rinse, then I place the parts into a DNA soak for 5 minutes, then transfer to a 2nd DNA soak for 10 minutes, then warm air dry.
to first succeed, one must put forth the effort worthy of the success
SteveFitzwater

Postby chaplin37 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:53 pm

what is a DNA soak?
chaplin37

Postby SteveFitzwater » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:59 pm

DeNatured Alcohol
SteveFitzwater

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:45 am

I also use zip cleaner and have been for several years. Cleans extremely well. I rinse with water, then water again to make sure I get the parts rinsed well. My final rinse is denatured alcohol. I have been using this method now for over 25 yrs. The DNA will remove all water from the clock parts and then goes into the dryer. I don't soak my clock parts except just enough I can be sure the water is gone.
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Postby digitaltripper » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:43 am

Denatured Alcohol = Lacquer removal, jewel removal if movement left in it over time.

A quick dunk in Denatured Alcohol to remove water, then straight to the dryer, works great.

Paul's method works well too but I am open to trying different cleaners.

Where do I find the zip cleaner?

I currently use LR cleaner and rinse in my egg beater (L&R three jar type machine) which = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Jim
digitaltripper

Postby Bernie Weishapl » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:42 am

I find the orange zip cleaner at ACE Hardware. I buy it buy the case.
Bernie
Bernie Weishapl

Postby SteveFitzwater » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:19 pm

the local Lowes carries it here, up to 5 gallon buckets of it.

When I say a DNA soak, I guess the "soak" term is to vague, the clock parts remain in the DNA for a few minutes at most, the sole intent is to displace any water that might remain on the parts following the rinse, the two soaks are because the first DNA bath will displace 98% of the water remaining, the second is to ensure a 100% removal of all water (better the do a second then find corrosion on a part afterwards).

For watch parts, I prefer to use my L&R cleaners, the cleaning solution goes into a quart canning jar, and I place the basket into the jar and seal it, then I float it in my large ultra sonic cleaner, then remove the basket and run it through my L&R Varimatic with 3 rinse and a dry.
SteveFitzwater

Return to General Discussion Forum